Read Heb. 4:12
What is the Word of God?
A person: The Lord Jesus Christ
- John 1:1 The Word was God - in the beginning
- The creator God is the Word
- John 1:14 The Word became flesh, lived with us
- The Son of God (Also 1 John 1:1 - The Word of Life!)
- Rev. 19:13 (esp. vv11-16) The risen Lord Jesus Christ is the Word of God
- Heb. 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever
- Gen. 1:3 God spoke and things were created. “Let there be light etc.” and there was
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made.
- Therefore the Word of God is powerful and creative!
- Heb. 1:3 Sustains all things by his powerful word
- Gen. 2:16-17 Instructive word to Adam and Eve
- Gen. 3:9 Calling word “Where are you?”. Also Saul on road to Damascus Acts 9.
- Gen. 3:16-19 Cursing word. Woman, man and the ground
- Ex. 20:1-3 Directing word. 10 commandments. The Lord spoke all these words.
- Matt. 3:17 Exalting word. This is my Son in whom I am well pleased.
God spoke many times audibly to his people. God speaks in a variety of ways.
Through human instruments:
- God raised up prophets through whom he spoke. They were ordinary people, who spoke human words in everyday language BUT of divine origin and therefore they spoke the very Word of God. The Word they spoke was truthful and authoritative.
- Deut. 18:18-20 “I will put my words in his mouth” The words of God were spoken by the prophet. The true ambassador only says the words of his king.
- Jer. 1:9 Sanctified lips
- Jer. 1:7 Speak only the commandments of God (see also Num. 22:35,38)
- Ex. 4:12 God helps those who are to speak for him
- There are many examples in scripture.
But what about the N.T.? What is our brief today? To preach the Word! The gospel is God’s word for life.
God’s word in writing - the scriptures:
Written by God:
Just as God instructed men to speak His word, he also instructed men to record his Word.
The first account of the written word is by none other than the hand of God. The 10 commandments were written by the finger of God. Ex. 31:18, 32:16 and 34:1, 28.
Written by O.T. authors:
- Deut. 31:9-13 Moses
- Josh. 24:26 Joshua
- Is. 30:8 Isaiah
- Jer. 30:2 Jeremiah (also Jer. 36:2-4 and vv27-31 The word of God protected)
Written by N.T. authors:
- Promise of the Holy Spirits help to remember
- John 14:26 Also John 16:12-13 The promise of truth and future events
- 1 Cor. 14:37 Paul’s writings are the commands of the Lord
- 2 Peter 3:2 Peter’s second letter reminds the people of the Words of the prophets and now the command of Chris through the apostles
The written word of God is absolutely true and authoritative. Therefore to disobey brings judgement.
- Jer. 36:29-31
- 1 Cor. 14:36-38
Warnings about adding to or taking from!
- Deut. 4:2, 12:32
- Prov. 30:6
- Rev. 22:19
God’s written word is complete, true and infallible
- Living - life giving
- Active - today and always because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.
- Sharp - cuts away even the most difficult sin
- Penetrating - reaches the inner man
- Judging - guilty or not guilty.